The Food Safety Coordinator will develop and oversee all the food safety regulations, policies, and
procedures and implement and enforce security and food safety standards, policies, and programs including HACCP, AIB and maintain QAI standards, regulatory audits,
food safety training programs, standard operating procedures (SOP’s), product inspections, and standardized work instructions and training.
This position reports directly to the General Managers and is directly responsible for all training staff in all aspects of Food Safety and the Food Safety and Modernization Act (FSMA).
Major Areas of Responsibility
- Major areas of responsibility include, but not limited to:
- Develop and provide training for food safety and quality requirements
- Develop and maintain documentation such as SOP’s, as well as maintenance of manuals, policies and
- procedures as relate to any food safety concerns
- Conduct facility food safety audits as well as manage third party audits
- Monitor and verify activities to ensure that all products coming in and out of the facility meet food safety standards in addition to quality standards
- Update existing food safety procedures and documentation to keep up with changing requirements
- Update Supplier Shipping Document Requirements
- Work closely with General Manager on any food safety or quality assurance issues
- Oversee proper maintenance and sanitation of all facility to comply with
- food safety requirements
- Ensure that all company food safety and quality assurance procedures are followed
- and documented correctly at all times, Completion of all required documentation
- Compliance with regulatory requirements
- Ensure food, equipment, and supplies are clean, safe, and working properly
- Identify ideas for how to improve products, operations, and services
- Identify problems with products, services, and work areas, and report them with recommendations for action
- Provide suggestions for improved efficiency and success
Food Safety Coordinator/ Duties & Responsibilities
- To be compliant with all regulatory requirements of FSMA.
- Become AIB certified.
- Maintain compliance with QAI certification.
- Promote the safety and health of the workforce.
- Participate as a member of an employee-oriented team culture that emphasizes quality, continuous
- improvement, and high performance.
- Promote Commitment
- Specific Responsibilities of the Job
- Compliance with regulatory requirements
- Follow all Local, State and Federal regulatory requirements
- Be familiar with and follow the DSD HAACP
- Be familiar with QAI requirements for Organic packaging procedures
- Keep the product and the environment clean and safe.
- Efficiency and Success
- Suggests opportunities for improvement and reports any discrepancies.
- Continuously aware of and ensures safe and clean practices are adhered to.
- Aware of and observant of food allergy countermeasures.
- Continuous awareness of policies, programs, and practices.
- Organizational Support
- Promote a positive, supportive team environment
- Prevent divisive actions and encourage team oriented procedures
- Provide continuous feedback, focusing on positives whenever possible
- Recommend improvements to procedures
- Ensure all Employees are trained and in compliance of FDA food safety guidelines
- Plan for and Improve Team Performance
- Plan work based on business priorities
- Explain to others what is needed to get work done properly and efficiently
- Identify and oversee the tasks needed to reach goals
- Look for and suggest ways to improve performance and results
- Communicate and Promote Commitment
- Give the information needed to gain support for ideas or plans
- Build trusting relationships
- Work with others to reach goals
- Share clear priorities and work practices with others
- Communicate in a respectful and professional manner
- Adapt to Requirements
- Adapt to changing demands and business needs
- Encourage and embrace change
- Build the knowledge and skills to handle challenges and tasks
- Set an example for others when implementing changes
- Show support for, commitment to, and trust in changes
- Oversee Work and Get Results
- Make sure work is completed to expectations
- Execute plans and manage own and others' time so that priorities are met
- Give others the support and information they need to get results
- Organize tasks and make sure they are completed on time
- Provide Information and Feedback
- Ensure all Merchandisers have the DSD Merchandiser’s Manual
- Guide and teach Merchandisers on how to perform their work
- Oversee Performance to Meet Ethical Standards
- Clearly explain policies and procedures and teach others how to act in
- accordance with them
- Guide Merchandisers on how to use the highest standards of integrity and ethics in their work and always be compliant with FSMA standards.
- Treat everyone fairly and with respect
- Make Informed Choices
- Make timely and effective decisions
- Identify and use policies, procedures, and guides to make the right choices
- Use resources, data, tools, and facts to set priorities and make informed decisions
- Identify what might be a problem and correct it or clearly describe it to those who can correct it
- Accurately complete and submit all required reports on a daily basis.
- Recommend additional documentation that will enhance cleanliness, or safety
- Maintain confidential company information in the strictest of confidence
- Works with Merchandisers to ensure compliance logs (i.e. pest control, temperature, cleaning, etc) are
- filled out timely and properly and follows up, if discrepancies occur
- Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- These requirements are representative, but not all-inclusive, of the knowledge, skill, and ability required to
- perform this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to
- perform the essential functions.
This position requires the ability to lead others and perform detailed tasks while maintaining flexibility to alter plans to accommodate immediate needs.
Thorough knowledge and experience in:
- Organic and non-Organic bulk and packaged food
- Excellent skills in:
- Recognizing products, labels, and ingredients
- Following directions
Demonstrated ability to:
- Work as part of a team with team goals
- Accurately follow a plan
These physical demands are representative of the physical requirements necessary for an employee to
successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodation can be made to enable people with disabilities to perform the described essential
functions. While performing the responsibilities of the job, the employee is required to stand and use their hands and fingers to handle or feel. The employee is occasionally required to walk, reach with arms and hands, climb or balance, and to stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. Vision abilities required by this job include close vision. The employee will be required to regularly lift up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift up to 50 pounds from floor level to counter height.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable people with disabilities to perform the essential
functions of the job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts
and vehicles. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet to moderate. The temperature is
normally 55-65 degrees; however occasional periods of higher temperatures may occur.
This job description is intended to convey information essential to understanding the scope of the job and
the general nature and level of work performed by job holders within this job. But, this job description is
not intended to be an exhaustive list of qualifications, skills, efforts, duties, responsibilities or working
conditions associated with the position. Other related
duties may be required.